Sunday, March 18, 2007

First Post

Hi folks.

After a lot of waiting on research protocol approvals, visas, grants, etc., I am finally (finally!) getting ready to push off for Ecuador, where I'll be spending the better part of a year. For the moment, though, I'm still at home, just trying to take care of the myriad things that need to be done before I leave.

This is essentially a personal blog*. The plan is to use it to post photos and other info about what's going on (with me, and in Ecuador, and in California, for that matter), in addition to using it to stay in better touch with people outside of Ecuador. This will also spare friends and family the pain of my mass-mails, hopefully.

So, steel yourselves for the excitement of Ecuador, when I can tell you more about eating guinea pigs, and drinking corn beer, and eating 200 different varieties of potatoes and corn, and riding around in the backs of trucks, and burning garbage, and eating more potatoes and corn, and volcanic eruptions, and learning to play the charango, and working with traditional weavers, and, of course, my research, which consists of mainly talking to people (which will probably thrill you somewhat less than it thrills me). Whoa, the excitement of it all (seriously!). Hold onto your seats.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Feel free to leave comments, too, or just email me directly!


*This means that the views expressed here do not represent those of the universities or funding agencies I'm affiliated with, all of which will also remain nameless as far as the blog goes.


No comments: